Financial support for Sixth Form students at MCA6 is provided through the 16-19 Bursary Fund which is provided by the government to support vulnerable students and students from low income families. Please click here for an application form as there are a number of ways the 16-19 Bursary can support students.
The 16-19 Bursaries that will be available for 2019-2020 are:
Transport Bursary (up to £750)
Students should meet both criteria to be awarded a transport bursary:
• Household income of less than £25,000 per year
• The student lives 3 miles or more from the Academy
Vulnerable Student Bursary (up to £1,200 in addition to the transport bursary if applicable)
Students should meet at least one criterion to be awarded the vulnerable student bursary:
• The student is living in or has recently left local authority care
• The student is disabled and in receipt of Income Support in the student’s name
• The student is disabled and in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in the student’s name
• The student is disabled and in receipt of Universal Credit in the student’s name in place of Income Support or ESA
Discretionary Bursary (up to £1,200 including the transport bursary if applicable)
Students should meet at least one criterion to be awarded the discretionary bursary:
• Household income of less than £18,000 per year
• Be a young carer
• Be entitled to and claiming free school meals
• The student is living independently
• The student is encountering unexpected financial hardship
• The Discretionary Bursary is not usually paid directly to students, instead students will be provided with Academy related resources, have essential Academy visits paid or receive financial support for Academy related journeys.
• Whilst this bursary can be used as a contribution to non-essential Academy visits, students must be willing to explain the educational benefit of the visit to the Director of Sixth Form.
• Higher awards will be made to students where the household income is less than £10,000
Academy Laptops may be lent to students receiving any of the bursaries and are usually loaned on a first come, first served basis.
Please note: students may be required to return loaned laptops at the request of the Academy.
Emergency Family Circumstances Bursary
Students whose family encounter unexpected financial difficulties or other family emergencies should speak to the Director of Sixth Form regarding possible support through the 16-19 Bursary Fund.
Please click here for an application form.
Please note Bursaries are still available for 2018-2019 for students whose circumstances have changed.